When Does It End?

Nora Javier, Literary Journalist

Twenty first-graders gunned down at school in Connecticut? A lone gunman killing 58 people and wounding 869 in 10 minutes at a concert in Las Vegas? Seventeen students and staff murdered during classes in Florida? What does this mean exactly? What do we do about this? NOTHING! Why can’t we unite within each others’ communities and make a change in our world where we live and love our voices?

Not being heard is horrible. So many lives being injured and killed because of someone’s decision to go and shoot up the place. This might be a mere small decision to some people, but it causes great effects to families losing someone they loved very much and having an injured person walk around. A person chooses to hurt other people since they are hurting themselves. This is a vicious cycle will not end until we make a difference.

“Lockdown drills” in schools aren’t enough because sadly to say it doesn’t only happen in schools – it can happen at any point and time. For example, Las Vegas terrorist Stephen Paddock “fired 280 rounds in 31 seconds into a concert crowd, killing 59.” (Source: Daily News) Guns should not be seen as a way to practice a sport or protect yourself. They can kill as many as 59 people in 31 seconds. They generate violence and as Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. once said “Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.”

We are all generating violence not putting an end to these vicious acts people do to hurt others and make others feel the pain they do on a daily. By owning a gun we are degrading how others act – and we will be as bad as the person who is committing the crime when all we really need to do is kill them with kindness. We as people don’t know what others go through as the same way other people don’t go through what we go through on a daily basis. We must unite and all stand as one instead of separate people in one world, because at the end of the day we are all together sharing one planet.