The First Female Vice President: Kamala Harris

Justin Marrero, Staff Writer

Do you think that women have not been getting chances/opportunities lately? Well, there is good news. Kamala Harris is the first woman ever to be a Vice President!

Kamala Harris was born on October 20, 1964. (So she is currently 56 years old). According to the White House’s website, “She is the first woman, the first Black American, and the first South Asian American to be elected Vice President, as was the case with other offices she has held. She is, however, determined not to be the last.”

Kamala Harris also served as Attorney General of California from 2010 to 2016. Harris served as a United States senator from California from 2017 to 2021.

I asked 7th-grade student Leonard Blatchy-Preston if he thinks that there should be more women as president or vice president.

“Well, absolutely I think women have been deprived of their rights for way too long. I think that men can not be the only people in power anymore. I think that people like Kamala Harris and Angela Merkel, who is the chancellor of Germany, have proven that women have that capability. And I don’t know if that needed to be proven to other people, but I think that some people doubt that because of what has happened in the past. So absolutely I think that we do need more women in power and I think that based on what we saw with Trump who lives in the past,” he said.

I also asked 6th-grade student Ryleigh Jolie Beltran if she thinks that there should be more women as president or vice president.

“Yeah because as you can see most men have more rights. It’s like if a woman wants to go for President they are not guaranteed [to be taken seriously.] But it’s offensive towards women, in my opinion,” she said.

Out of 49 vice presidents, there has only been one woman that has been vice president: our current Vice President Kamala Harris. What does this make you think? I asked Leonard and he said, “This makes me think that some people that are running for President don’t choose a woman [as their VP], but what are the chances because they are scared that they are going to have a women […] people would rather have power than be progressive.”

I asked Leonard if he thinks that women can do a better job than men? Like for example in a job like a presidency. He said, “Absolutely! Women have proven to be part of the Constitution and we yet still have not given them what they deserve to be elected for president.”

I also asked Ryleigh if she thinks that women can do a better job than men.

“Yes but throughout history women did not have that many rights because they were like cooking, cleaning, and doing what their husbands asked them to do,” Ryleigh said.

I asked Leonard if he thinks that women can do more than men.

“I do think so because if we elect the right women she could be more progressive than men because [men] will never understand what a woman has been through […] I think that when given the chance, women could step up,” he said.

I asked Ryleigh if she thinks that women have done more than men.

“Some men did not have many rights because of their race, their skin color, and I wouldn’t compare [men and women],” Ryleigh said.

I asked Leonard if there’s a woman who is inspiring to him

“Every woman is inspiring to me because they face these challenges in life that I will never have to go through, just because of their gender. So every woman is inspiring to me and if you want me to be a little more specific I think that Megan Rapinoe is definitely really inspiring to me because she isn’t just a soccer player she is a women’s rights activist. She is also a member of the LGBTQ community and that is really hard for anybody and especially for a woman,” Leonard said.

Hey guys, I really hope you like this article about Kamala Harris. On a personal level, she is really inspiring not only because she was the first woman ever to become a vice president but also because she is Asian American and African American and we have not had that many Asian or Black people (men or women) achieve this position. I hope you liked this article and then as always I’ll see you in my next article. Have a great day!