Why I Think You Should Get the Vaccine and other Hamilton Grange Opinions

Isabella Suarez, Staff Writer

In 1798, the first vaccine was created, the smallpox vaccine by Edward Jenner. Like Covid, Smallpox was a deadly illness that killed millions around the world and scared even more. However, when this new vaccine came around for the first time ever, the disease was eliminated, and now is the only illness to be completely erased. After the smallpox vaccine, we started to receive vaccines for multiple diseases and illnesses when we go to the doctors to prevent ourselves from getting sick and spreading it to others. In our lifetime, we receive a number of different vaccines to help us stay safe, healthy and immune to different illnesses. 

In March of 2020, a new disease broke out, COVID-19. It quickly became deadly and took the lives of nearly five million people around the world, and affected countless families. When we were put into our homes to be safe and socially distant, we had to work and go to school from our laptops. Eventually, after wearing masks and being isolated from people for almost a year, on December 11th the first COVID vaccine was available for individuals 16 years and over. However, the reactions to getting it varied. While a large group of people were excited to get themselves vaccinated to hopefully eliminate the disease and go back to how things used to be, a whole other side disagreed, and had different opinions. Various messages were spread over the media talking about the vaccine and why you shouldn’t get it, such as the vaccine having a microchip for the government to track you, or the vaccine itself might give you covid, or even worse diseases. These different opinions caused a lot of conflict, so the question many people are asking is, should you get the vaccine, and why or why not? I asked a group of three seventh grade students from 703 for their ideas on the vaccine. 

“I am vaccinated because I don’t want to get sick and I want to be safe,” one said.

Another student agreed and added that they’re vaccinated because “I believe in it and believe it can help us stay safe and not get sick.” 

“I don’t fit the age requirements yet for the vaccine but if I could get it, I would,” another student added (this story was written before the vaccine was approved for students under 12 years old).

In my opinion, I believe we should get the vaccine if we can because we have already gotten many vaccinations in our life and will continue to get more to stay immune from different diseases. Getting vaccinated also helps keep people around you safe from getting sick and helps fully eliminate the disease.  Even if you did get sick from COVID after getting vaccinated, you won’t be as sick as an unvaccinated person would get if they got COVID. 

On July 27, 2021, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), released uploaded guidance of how to stay safe from the virus, encouragement to wear your masks in public areas, and the urgent need for individuals 12 years and older to get vaccinated. During the days leading up to the uploaded guidance of the CDC, alarming amounts of COVID cases rose around the country, and new data emerged about the Delta variant, and that it was becoming more dangerous and infectious compared to other variants, and could also infect vaccinated individuals in certain cases. The Delta Variant can cause worse and more severe cases in unvaccinated individuals, and even affects younger groups too now, such as small children. While vaccinated people can still get COVID and symptoms of The Delta Variant, they spread it for a much shorter period than unvaccinated people would. Unvaccinated people are 11 times more likely to die from COVID than vaccinated people according to the CDC’s research. 

I interviewed a seventh grader in 703 to hear their thoughts on the vaccine. 

“I think that the vaccine is good because it protects people from COVID. The vaccine protects you from all the germs and bacteria that you may encounter and it helps you stay immune from the disease,” she answered to my first question. 

“I got the vaccine so that I could be safe, because my parents told me to, but also because I just wanted to. I had to get the vaccine in order to go to school.”  Which brings up another important point, the requirement of being vaccinated to enter places.

In a recent article, it was announced that President Biden “imposed vaccine mandates on federal workers and many health care workers.” His plan was to “require all private-sector businesses with more than 100 employees to mandate vaccines or weekly testing for their work forces.”

In a news article in the New York Times, it says, “New York City took one of its most aggressive steps yet to increase vaccination rates in a city that was once the epicenter of the pandemic, requiring almost every member of the nation’s largest municipal work force to get vaccinated by the end of the month or lose their paychecks.” 

“We need to save lives, and we do it with vaccinations,” Mayor Bill de Blasio said later in the recent article. 

“Indoor dining, fitness and entertainment and meeting spaces must accept valid proof that you received at least one dose of any vaccine authorized for emergency use by the FDA or WHO,” according to the New York City Government site for health. 

With new vaccine mandates in certain places in the city, and requirements to show vaccine cards if you are twelve years of age or older, not having the vaccine can be unreliable in certain situations and risky. You may not be allowed to go inside public places because you don’t have proof of vaccination. Getting vaccinated allows you to enter public places in New York City and also keep yourself safe while watching out for the people around you. 

I collected data from one class in seventh grade about their opinions on the vaccine. 

When I asked the first question, Do you support the government’s plan to make teachers be vaccinated in order to go to work, about 90% of the 22 kids questioned responded yes, and about 9% responded no.

One student added “I support the government’s plan because I think it is irresponsible for a teacher to be around vulnerable people and choose to be unsafe. Also kids need to be safe when playing in close contact with each other.”

“It just makes everything a lot more safe with there still being a pandemic around. Everyone still needs safety precautions like this,” mentioned another student.

However, one of the students that said no mentioned “I don’t agree because I think they (teachers) can do covid tests every week….people need jobs.”

When I asked the second question, Do you support the government’s plan to make everyone 12 years and older to be vaccinated to play sports, less students responded.

Out of the 20 students that responded, 75% of students responded yes, they think that everyone 12 years and older should be vacc inated in order to play sports.

25% of students disagreed, and responded no to the question.

Since a lot of people will be indoors to play sports, having the vaccine will allow people to stay more safe…everyone will be in close contact and covid spreads this way,” mentioned one student who responded yes. 

Overall, I strongly believe that everyone over the age of 12 should be fully vaccinated to keep themselves and others around them safe from COVID-19. This virus has brought us to taking very important precautions in order to protect ourselves, and I believe that getting vaccinated is a very important part of this and a step to getting back on track to our normal lives.