Beating Bullying

Beating Bullying

Marcely Rojas, Staff Writer

Students come to school to learn, 5 days a week, for 8 hours straight, with 2 breaks, lunch, and recess. The nicest fun thing school can be is a happy safe place where no one judges you. Where people love you and support you. But if your getting bullied, it’s the complete opposite.

According to stopbullying.gov bullying is, “…aggressive behavior among school-aged children that involves a real or perceived power imbalance. The behavior is repeated, or has the potential; to be repeated, over time.” 

7th-grade student Hazel Baker, has been bullied before in elementary and middle school.

Hazel said, “There was nothing done in my elementary school, unlike HGMS were we have a conversation.”

Hazel didn’t get so much help with her problem in her elementary school. Unlike HGMS where Principal Benjamin Lev and the teachers have a whole conversation about what happened. 

Guidance counselor Shary Parra helps students with personal and bullying problems.

“We sit down with the student who is being bullied,” she said

Ms. Shary stated that she has helped many students with bullying with a one on one conversation to help solve the problem. She said bullying does not always happen at school. According to Ms.Shary, bullying that happens in HGMS is mostly online, on apps like Instagram.

“Most of the bullying we’ve seen does happen online, with people posting things,” she said.

Humanities teacher Vivian Hoa does not only teach but also helps her students

“I do have students who come to because of bullying.. It’s usually during class or after school, and often I’ll ask them what’s going on, “ she said.

There are at least four types of bullying:

• Physical bullying can involve hitting, kicking, punching, pushing, or otherwise attacking others.
  • Verbal bullying refers to the use of words to harm others with name-calling, insults, making sexual or bigoted comments, harsh teasing, taunting, mimicking, or verbal threats.
  • Relational bullying focuses on excluding someone from a peer group, usually through verbal threats, spreading rumors, and other forms of intimidation.
  • Reactive bullying involves the bully responding to being a former victim by picking on others.

Here are some ways to beat bullying at your school

• Stand up for people who are bullied 
  • Tell a teacher or an adult.
  • Let bullies know that you do not think being mean is cool. 
  • Don’t join the bullies