HGMS Students Against President Donald Trump

Leonard Blachly-Preston, Staff Writer

“It’s just poor choices.”

That is the opinion of 7th-grade student, Hazel Baker on the decisions of United States President, Donald Trump.

President Trump was sworn into office on January 20th, 2017, after the presidential election of November 2016. Trump is not the most popular president around HGMS. In a survey, 15 out of 15 students said they dislike him. 

President Trump has made a number of policies that involve immigration that students think are bad choices. 

“The fact that Trump calls immigrants `Illegal Aliens` and he stops them from coming into a `free country` because they need to live safely… The detention centers that the immigrants are kept in while waiting to be deported are terrible. It’s disrespectful to keep a human being of your own species in a prison while you torment them just because they try to live safely,” Hazel said.

The immigration policies are not the only bad laws that Trump has passed. Trump has also passed tax cuts for the rich.

7th-grade student Marcely Rojas expressed her opinions on the tax cuts, stating, “It is completely unfair. The people who have a lot of money to support the U.S. can now spend money on crazy exotic vacations and indoor golf courses while the very poor people who can barely pay the rent are now on the streets,” Marcely said. “The government is showing how greedy they are.”

Fellow 7th grade student Andres Perez also expressed his feelings about the tax cut policies by saying, “I think that taxes should be heavier on the people who have more money, to make it fair and that the rich people should know that the taxes go to good causes like public schools and free food for poor people. They have more than enough money, so they need to be generous.” 

There are other disagreeable things that President Trump has done, such as the Ukraine scandal.

6th Grade Humanities teacher Luke Bolton stated during an interview, “The Constitution states that impeachment proceedings can be put in place If a person who holds power has committed or been connected to a crime or felony. I think that we have conclusively connected Donald Trump to a scandal involving the Ukrainian president, and there are phone call recordings of President Trump asking the President of Ukraine to dig up dirt on Former Vice President Joseph R. Biden’s son, and even though Biden is a huge competitor in the elections, that is not a legal thing to do.” 

Hazel Baker also feels strongly about this incident. 

“I don’t think that it is fair to ask someone to dig up dirt on someone who isn’t even running against you, who isn’t your competitor. That just proves that Trump will do anything in his power to continue to serve as President. Yet another sign that Trump should be impeached,” she said.

The impeachment proceedings for President Donald J. Trump started on November 13, 2019. Multiple people will speak for and against Donald Trump, and the House of Representatives will have members watch and even testify against and for the President. The vote will then go to the Senate, and if ⅔ of the votes are for impeachment, that is it. Donald Trump will be removed from office. 

There is another topic that might be spoken of at the impeachment trials. That topic is the Russian hacking into the United States 2016 presidential elections. 

Mr. Bolton stated in the interview, “I think that we have proved that Russia did hack into our elections, but, I am not saying that people cannot get mad that Russia did this, but I think that we are getting too upset, because the United States has interfered with a lot of elections for many different countries. Even so, I am very upset that Russia `helped` us get such a controversial President, like Donald Trump.”

Hazel, on the other hand, has controversial opinions on this topic. 

“I think that we might have proved that someone hacked into our elections, but I am not sure who it is, and I don’t want to say anything without proven facts,” she said. 

During the 3rd day of the impeachment trials, when Ukranian Ambassador Marie Yovanovitch testified against President Trump, Trump tweeted against her and was accused of witness intimidation. In the tweet, he stated, “Everywhere Marie Yovanovitch went turned bad. She started off in Somalia, how did that go? Then fast forward to Ukraine, where the new Ukrainian President spoke unfavorably about her in my second phone call with him. It is a U.S. President’s absolute right to appoint ambassadors. They call it “serving at the pleasure of the President.” The U.S. now has a very strong and powerful foreign policy, much different than proceeding administrations. It is called, quite simply, America First! With all of that, however, I have done FAR more for Ukraine than O.” 

Representative and Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi and other Democrats spoke out and accused President Trump of trying to intimidate Ambassador Yovanovitch into not testifying against him.

At HGMS, it seems clear that not many people, if any like Trump. Many of the students and teachers alike want President Trump impeached. What do you think? Is what he has done enough for him to be impeached?