Debate Team Competes In Sunset Park Prep Tournament

Hazel Baker, Staff Writer

The Hamilton Grange debate team has been in existence for two years now. This is its third year. They have two different formats. The one that most Hamilton Grange students compete in is called Parliamentary Debate. 

It’s tough to debate and the team goes up against some teams that have been debating for three or four years. The kids work really hard and win most of their rounds.

On November 9th, 7th graders Kelvin De Jesus, Cody Jorge, Hazel Baker, Nora Javier and 8th grader Mariel Torres went to a tournament at Sunset Park Prep in Brooklyn. The topics were “This house believes that the government should have the right to spy on its citizens” and “This house believes it’s unethical to eat meat and this house would require metal detectors in schools.” 

7th-grade Humanities teacher Joao Moderno went with them as their coach and a former HGMS student went as well as a judge. There were two teams. The first was Hazel, Mariel, and Nora and the second was Cody and Kelvin. 

Mr. Moderno said that one team and one kid won awards at this past tournament.

“The awards were given to different people. One team award was given to the novice team, the girls, Hazel, Mariel, and Nora. The girls got 8th place overall out of over 50 teams. Kelvin got 33rd place in individual speaker award,” he said. 

The speaker award Kelvin earned was based on how well he spoke. Kelvin’s performance was impressive for the Open category. 

This year there are two new students on the team. The one that one went to the tournament was Nora. She explained that the team preps for the tournaments on Thursdays and Fridays by debating each other.

“We act like its an actual debate tournament and then girls go against boys,” Nora said.