The Life of Leopold Spohngellert

Andres Perez, Staff Writer

Would you like to know the life of 7th-grade teacher Leopold Spongellert? If you answered yes to that question then this is the article for you to read. 

Leopold Spongellert grew up in upper Manhattan with three younger brothers, his mom and dad and two cats. He went to Booker T. Washington Middle School and Stuyvesant High School . He went to college to figure out what he wanted to do in his life. Today he is now a 7th-grade Humanities teacher.

As a kid after school he would play tackle football with his friends from school. He also would play other sports like baseball and basketball. He says, “I was actually on a few baseball teams when I was younger.” Also in his childhood he used to read Harry Potter and play computer games

“I used to play rollercoaster tycoon on a computer with a CD,” he said.

During high school, Mr. S would have to do 6 tests each week and it was very stressful for him

“[Junior year] was possibly the hardest year in school for me,” he said

He was also the chief editor for his high school newspaper and that added to his stress

“I had to edit 20-30 newspaper articles every two weeks,” he said.

Overall he had a very hard experience in high school.

Mr Spongellert started college at the University of Virginia to find out what he wanted to do in life. He soon realized that he wanted to switch colleges and go to the University of Pennsylvania.

“I enjoyed exploring a new city and I really liked my professors,” he said.

He also said, “I got to work with kids in West Philadelphia and their school lacked the resources that kids need to learn.”

This whole experience inspired him to teach in schools. 

After college, he started to teach in the Bronx

“I miss my old students but I really enjoy teaching here at Hamilton Grange,” he said. “I’m so glad to teach at a school where the kids care so much about getting a great education.”