The Rosetta Stone Should Go Back To Egypt

Ashley Astudillo, Literary Journalist

Great Russell St, Bloomsbury

London WC1B 3DG, United Kingdom

Dear British Museum,

My name is Ashley and I am a student at the Hamilton Grange school. I have been learning about Ancient Egypt and the Rosetta Stone, whether the stone should stay in the British Museum or be returned to Egypt. First we learned that the British army stole the Rosetta stone from the French army. Then we later found out that they placed it on the British Museum where they can get a lot of visitors and also protect it from any danger. In my opinion, I think the Rosetta Stone should not stay in the British Museum because they already have 8 million artifacts and objects. Additionally, Egypt is building a new Museum to better protect the objects and artifacts.

My first reason why the Rosetta Stone should go back to Egypt is because the British Museum already has 8 million artifacts and objects and only 80,000 can be seen. On page 7 it states, “When the British Museum first opened, it had a small collection of art but it has since grown to a vast amount. The first collection was made up of 71,000 objects. The donated items included books, ancient objects and animals and plants from all over the world.” Another piece of evidence is also on page 8, “Today the museum has over 8 million incredible objects; although only 80,000 can be seen by visitors. This means that the museum has so many artifacts it can only display 1% of what it actually has!” This demonstrates that the Rosetta Stone should not stay in the British Museum because they already have so many artifacts and objects that do not belong to them, they weren’t the ones who made the objects – it was the Egyptians. They shouldn’t have more artifacts because they already have 8 million they should return some or share it with other Museums because it is not fair to have a lot of artifacts. Other countries may have less artifacts than Britain.

My second reason why the Rosetta Stone should go back to Egypt is because Egypt is building a new Museum to better protect the artifacts and objects. On page 5 it states, “Egypt is building a new museum. The Grand Egyptian Museum is a new state-of-the-art museum costing over $600 million that will house a large collection of Ancient Egyptian artifacts.” Another piece of evidence is also on page 5, “Security has also been enforced with a top-of-the-line system that ensures the safe transfer of artifacts. In addition, there are ingenious solutions to control temperature and light so that all of the artifacts are preserved and safe.” This demonstrates that the Rosetta Stone should not stay in the British Museum because Egypt is building a better Museum to protect the objects from danger and they also have great technology. The Egyptian Museum also used to be very bad and small and had very bad security. And not many visitors.

In conclusion, I have demonstrated clearly that the Rosetta Stone should not stay in the British Museum. In the past, I had things stolen from me and I still think about them. Just like me, I am sure Egypt would be happy to get back the Rosetta Stone and the British Museum would be doing a good thing! This issue is important because there are things that were stolen in Egypt and in history that are now in different countries. If we want different countries to get along better, finding ways to give these items back would be a great start. Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Sincerely,

Ashley